Saturday, February 19, 2011

Google's Social Initiative Part 1

Earlier I posted on Google Search being an important and exciting part of their new social strategy. Well, Social Search is officially leaving beta and rolling out to everyone.

With social search, what your friends say about the topic you search for shows up on the first page of results. If you search for IT Crowd, you may see a tweet from your friend raving about how hilarious he thinks the show is. Facebook, Twitter, Buzz, etc now will now appear in your results. And why not? My friends carry more weight in my opinions than a blogger whom I've never met.

This also confirms that Facebook is not a threat to Google, but makes its social strategy even more robust.

I'll share more when I see Social Search integrated into my search results.

No comments: