Thursday, July 29, 2010

How to Make Notes in Gmail

Sometimes I want to make a note about a particular email, but in Gmail there is no way to make a note other than adding it to tasks. Tasks isn't particularly a good way to make notes though, because it serves as a to-do list. I like to check things off of my to-do list in a timely fashion, but I may wait months before referring back over notes that I've made. If I have a note sitting on tasks, I'm just itching to get it off of there. So I looked around for a good method to add a note to a Gmail message and here is the best one I have found.

  • Go to Settings > Filters > Create a new filter.
  • In the "To" section type your username then "+notes@gmail.com." It should look something like bentok+notes@gmail.com. Now click on "next step."
  • Put a check mark beside "apply label," pick "new label" from the drop down menu and make a label called "notes." You may also want to put a check mark beside "skip the inbox" if you want the note to skip your inbox and go straight into the label. Now click on "create filter."

Now you can send emails to yourself at the address [yourusername]+notes@gmail.com. You can send yourself a note from any email address. If you want to make a note on a particular email, forward the email to yourself at the +notes address, and type your note into the body of the email.


1 comment:

LINUX FONT said...

nice tutorial!
thanks a lot for sharing!