Thursday, June 24, 2010

Hammer vs Brumas

After killing so many animals across New Austin, Mexico, and West Elizabeth, there seemed to be no animal that was even worthy of a hunter's efforts. Killing and skinning dozens of animals for their skins and meat was becoming too easy. I could easily provide food for my family, but the process was becoming boring. A hunter of my calibre needed a challenge.

I sought Lobo, the wolf. I heard that he was stalking Tall trees, so I figured I would stalk him. When I arrive, I take my time and observe my surroundings. Without warning, a black wolf attacked my horse from the side and killed it almost instantly, knocking me to the ground.

"Lobo..." I say as I pull out my buffalo rifle. He growls menacingly at me, showing his teeth as the moonlight makes his eyes glow white with hatred. Certainly he wants to be the only great hunter in Tall Trees.

Still picking myself off the ground, I shoot and hit his foot, and he strafes to his left to avoid my second shot. He starts to charge, but falls at my feet as I shoot him in the head and stain the snow red. I whistle for a new horse.

I head to Stillwater Creek to find Gordo, the legendary boar. On my way, I see a stagecoach under attack from bandits. I easily dispatch the outlaws and put an end to their theft of someone else's hard work. Moving on, I see a large boar, and he sees me. Without hesitation, I pull out my Carano Rifle, aim for his head, and fire twice for good measure. He falls over in defeat. As I walk to his corpse and skin him, I am trying to figure out how everyone else must be so weak as to consider this boar a legend. Still not satisfied, I talk to Bentok about how to make this challenge more interesting. He suggests that I take on Brumas the Bear with only my knife and wits.

That night after dark, I travel to Nekoti Rock to face the ultimate challenge. I look into the cave and spot him. He knows I'm there. He stomps out of the cave and the trees shake off their snow. I pull out my knife, ready for a fight to the death.

As Brumas charges, a man on a horse gets between Brumas and myself asking for help because his wife has been kidnapped.

"Get out of here you damn fool!" I yell at him. He leaves but somehow thinks I'm following him.

Brumas charges, and we run circles around each other trying to get the advantage. We take turns knocking each other further down the mountain side. Finally, a challenge. After a few swipes of his massive claws, I was hurting. Never had I fought such a worthy opponent. I knew that strength alone wouldn't save me. So I came up with a plan. I slid down the mountain, grabbing everything I could to slow my fall. Picking myself up, I taunt Brumas.

"Come and get me!" I scream as I stand with my arms straight up, challenging him. Enraged he charges down the hill, but he loses control and falls. Being crushed under his own weight from such a height, I knew I had won. I walk over and skin him, claiming everything salvageable as proof of my superior hunting skills.

No comments: