Monday, February 22, 2010

Puzzle Quest, DLC, and Completion Percentage

UPDATE: After I got the last achievement for Puzzle Quest (no DLC, just the normal game), it now lists my Gamerscore as 200/200 with 12/12 achievements. Just before I got the last achievement, it showed the Gamerscore with a max of 250. This makes absolutely no sense to me. It is completely irrational. Also, the guy I beat on Xbox Live, added as a friend to make boosting the last 10 points easier, wanted me to let him win so he could get his last achievement too, which I was happy to do. However, we could not join each other's game. We kept getting the message "Unable to join." The same thing happens with Worms 2 and the ever popular Castle Crashers. This is the norm for Arcade games it seems: You can't play with your friends, and sometimes you can't play at all.

Review: I've never loved puzzle games, and this one takes the cake. It's a cruel and brutal experience. It was fun at first, but then it became more repetitive than most retail RPG's I've played, and without as much fun. I wouldn't recommend this game.

Instead of it showing the 12 achievements worth 200 points, there are 15 worth 250 points. I click on the game on my profile and it lists only 12 achievements.

This happens sometimes when a game has a DLC to come out. It will count the extra DLC content as part of the total points available, but at the exact same time, it doesn't show you what the achievements are. This does pressure a completionist like myself to purchase the DLC, but more often is an annoyance.

My rating for this game is: "I should have bought Trials HD."

4 comments:

Unknown said...

DLC for XBLA games is just a bad idea anyway. I'm sure the DLC costs almost as much as the XBLA game itself. Just release another full XBLA game.

DropTheH4MM3R said...

The DLC for Puzzle Quest is 700 points, which is a very odd amount. In real money, that is $8.25, which like you said, is very close to the cost of the game itself: 800 points a.k.a. $10.

Unknown said...

Sometimes my games stop showing the full score. For example, yesterday Bioshock was showing 1100/1000. You'll probably start seeing 200/250 again soon.

DropTheH4MM3R said...

1100/1000? You truly do give 110% when you play a game. I congratulate you, good sir.