Saturday, January 23, 2010

Another Man's Treasure

Today I got a nice deal on 4 straight razors at an antique shop in my home town. I have been shopping around antique shops for quite a while trying to get a hold of one of these guys. Finally, today I came across this antique shop which had about 10 sitting around. My original intention was to purchase only 1  and to use it as my backup razor, but ended up getting 4 plus the old case you see in the picture all for $50.

The three in the box were made in Sheffield, England. The other (the one on the right in the picture below) was made in Solingen, Germany (the City of Blades). From my basic knowledge, I knew that Solingen was a win. I wasn't sure about the Sheffield razors, however, but decided to go for it. After a little research, it appears that Sheffield is of similar grade to Solingen. That is, it's a high quality carbon steel. For some perspective on the quality: my current straight razor is made of Solingen carbon steel and cost more than $150 new. You can imagine my excitement for increasing my inventory by 4 for only $50!


1 comment:

DropTheH4MM3R said...

That's a steal of a price! You really were lucky in finding good quality razors at such a price. Since they are carbon steel, they have potential to be family heirlooms, and at the price, they come with a great story for your kids and grandkids.