Friday, December 11, 2009

How to Speed Up Zune 4.0 on Windows 7

This has been driving me bonkers for weeks now. Zune 4.0 on my Windows 7 x86 machine has slowed down to a crawl, rendering it essentially useless. I had all but decided to cancel my subscription when I found out from this post that Zune uses Internet Explorer's settings for its online marketplace. Don't you just love how Microsoft forces all of its products on you? If you don't use IE, they'll at least make you access it in order to change settings for a completely different program. Perhaps you'll hastily click that "use IE as my default browser" button when it launches. Such desperation really shows the inferiority of their browser.

Anyway, enough rambling. If you happen to be experiencing this maddening pace on the Zune Marketplace, just follow these steps:

  • Open IE and go to Tools > Internet Options
  • Click on the "Connections tab"
  • Click "LAN Settings"
  • Deselect "Automatically Detect Settings"
  • Then Restart Zune (the guide I linked says to also restart IE, but I would never wish that on you)
This worked like a charm for me. I only wish I would have found it sooner to save my wife some headaches (from my vocalized frustration).

2 comments:

DropTheH4MM3R said...

Microsoft requiring IE to configure Zune settings? This sounds like when Apple decided to require you to install iTunes and Quicktime BOTH to use just iTunes. Which brings me to the lesson for the day:

Apple = Microsoft

Unknown said...

One thing is for sure, neither one of the two can be said to be less evil than the other one.