Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Dual Booting Windows 7 and Ubuntu

I followed this Lifehacker guide to set up a dual boot between Windows 7 and Ubuntu with all user files shared between the two. The process was a great success. Now both systems have access to the same pictures, documents, downloads, music and videos. Now I have no major reason to boot up one OS over the other unless I need to run my PlayOn server, stream Zune music to my Xbox, or listen to my subscription based Zune music. On the other hand Banshee is a great medium to play all of my purchased Zune music with the added bonus of having built-in Last.fm.

I find both operating systems equally useful and thus I am very pleased with this harmonious dual boot. As an Xbox gamer, I need Windows to complete the experience. As an Ubuntu Netbook owner, having a second Ubuntu machine is very useful for file sharing and synchronization.

1 comment:

Ronald said...

I'm taking the netbook I have now back, It came with Windows XP Home, but It had so much bulk software on it from the place I bought it I had to just destroy it with Ubuntu 10.04. However I now have a Acer Aspire one with Windows 7.

I can't resist dual-booting it with Ubuntu.