Wednesday, August 19, 2009

How to have a masculine beard

One of the most masculine things a man can do is grow a beard. Beards contain within them the essence of manliness. A beard sends a nonverbal message instantly to all those around you. Are you lazy and rarely shave, or do you have a well trimmed, shaped beard that tells people that you take grooming personal style seriously in your life? Do you shave your beard completely off and go for a younger look, or grow a full beard to look older and more experienced in life? Beards, like clothing, accent your personality, so let's cover some basics every man should know.

So what are your options for beards and shapes? The sky is the limit, of course! But there are some rather popular and familiar beard types. Dyer's has compiled a list of beard styles as well as examples of these beards as they would look in real life. that is a great reference point for someone interested in starting a beard, or just finding a new style. Now that you know what you want, you need to have the tools for the job.

Here's a good introductory video to shaving by mantic59. Get past the somewhat cheesy intro and you'll find a lot information on the tools needed for a great wet shave.



Now that you have an idea of what style you want, and how to obtain a great beard, there's nothing left to it but to do it! Go experiment with beard styles and never be afraid if you mess up. It will grow back.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Great post. Dyer's is a great reference for beard info. As for wet shaving, the video is great. It's true that it turns shaving from a chore into a ritual. I shave with a straight razor and it is almost a hobby to me.

Another thing that I can agree with from the video his statement that you should "shoot for par" when shaving. There are parts of my face that I know I can get in one stroke and I always get those perfectly. The areas where I'm less confident on, especially under my nose, I take several strokes and knick myself occasionally.

Unknown said...

Here is a good video on straight razor shaving.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLbpe62bubk

Ronald said...

I hang my head in shame.

Unknown said...

It's alright man, that is what this post was for, guidance.